Search This Blog

Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Daily Prayer - Contentment

Good Wednesday morning, my friends.
 
In thanking the church in Philippi for their gifts, Paul says "I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances.  I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do all this through him who gives me strength." (Philippians 4:11b-13).  Well, we can't say "easy for you to say, Paul.  How hard could it be to start churches in the first century Roman world?"  Check out what he went through:
I have worked much harder, been in prison more frequently, been flogged more severely, and been exposed to death again and again. Five times I received from the Jews the forty lashes minus one. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was pelted with stones, three times I was shipwrecked, I spent a night and a day in the open sea, I have been constantly on the move. I have been in danger from rivers, in danger from bandits, in danger from my fellow Jews, in danger from Gentiles; in danger in the city, in danger in the country, in danger at sea; and in danger from false believers. I have labored and toiled and have often gone without sleep; I have known hunger and thirst and have often gone without food; I have been cold and naked. Besides everything else, I face daily the pressure of my concern for all the churches. Who is weak, and I do not feel weak? Who is led into sin, and I do not inwardly burn? (2 Corinthians 11:23b-29)
Content in all circumstances.  This one hits home for me.  Little things can set me off - a minor, unexpected change in schedule; a missing tool; a mess created by dropping a dish; breaking an important piece in something I am assembling; having to wait for anything (or anyone)!  These things can change my mood in an instant and I am anything but content.  You probably have a list too.  And what about the bigger things: loss of a job; the end of a marriage; a child making very wrong decisions; expecting to win a contract or receive a promotion, but not getting it; a serious illness or injury.  How do we react in those situations?
 
Personally, I need to learn to pause in that moment before I react to the issue at hand.  I need to turn, as Paul did, and focus on "him who gives me strength", on God.  If I can look at my circumstances through the lens of faith and eternity, then my point of view changes completely.  I am given strength to control my frustration/anger/grief and realize that God is bigger than this situation.  He has a plan that is good and will prevail. 
 
Pray that I can live out this lesson and I will pray the same for you.
 
"I wait for the LORD, my soul waits, and in his word I put my hope." Psalm 130:5
 

Grace and peace and contentment be yours in abundance!
Bruce
 
 
Thank You, Lord, for those seasons of waiting through which You reveal Your grace and immeasurable love for us.
 
Help us remember Your sovereign goodness, depend on Your faithfulness of character, and rejoice in Your constant presence.
 
When waiting is hard, remind us that You're never late.
 
When waiting is wearing us out, show us if we're trying to do things in our own strength instead of allowing You to empower and equip us.
 
When waiting is lonely, give us courage to be still as You brush burdens off our shoulders and into Your capable hand.
 
Keep our eyes on the glory of the cross when the wait seems endless.
 
Bless us with peace and contentment that reflects our hope in You, not our circumstances.
 
Thank You for loving us too much to rush Your perfect plan for our lives.
 
You alone are worthy of our praise, Abba.
 
We trust You.
 
In Jesus' name, Amen
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment